2019 is almost over and it’s time to look back, as well as plan some things for next year’s reading. Before we get into that, however, let’s take a look at all that I’ve done in 2019.
Goodreads reading challenge
- Actual: I’m currently sitting at 57 books, so I think I’ll reach my goal before the end of the year.
I read 70 books in 2018 and that was my plan for 2019 as well, but life happened and I just couldn’t get around to it so halfway through 2019 I decided to take my reading goal down to 60, which was a much more realistic reading goal. While I do feel kind of sad for not reading as much, I realize that my mental health was more important and that this was a good choice to make.
Tackle the TBR shelf
This goal was one that was very successful in my eyes. I am a notorious book buyer, but always end up picking up eBooks instead of actual books. In 2019, I decided to read more physical books, as they were collecting dust on my shelves anyway. Right now, I have about 40 books left on my shelves that I haven’t read yet.
My goals for 2020 are going to be roughly the same as those from this year, but I have added some more to really keep the reading game strong the upcoming year.
- My Goodreads goal will still be 60.
- I will still be tackling my TBR shelf to try and get that number down to at least <20.
As for some new goals, I want to finish some more series that I’ve started over the years. I’m terrible at keeping up with series, so I’ve created an Excel spreadsheet to keep up with all the series (and regular books) that I’ve started so far, as well as with their follow-ups. So far, it has helped me a lot with seeing what series I started/finished.
I also want to buy less books next year. I’ve spent an outrageous amount of money on books in 2019 and it’s just not possible with how much I earn at work. This will hopefully also help with keeping my TBR shelf below 20 books.
Other bookish plans for 2020
- I really want to unhaul a lot of books on my shelves. I’ve started doing this already over the last few weeks, but I’m planning to grab a big box, put all my books that I want to unhaul in there and drive over to the nearest donation center. These are mostly Dutch books that I have not and probably will not ever read, so they will not be missed.
- I want to do more reading challenges. I’m currently patiently waiting for my Always Fully Booked planner to come in, which has many reading challenges in it, but I also want to do the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge by Mommy Mannegren.
- I want to participate in more readathons. This year I participated in the Housecup Readathon over on Instagram, hosted by the lovely @rqdavis_. I’m in team Hufflepuff and somehow, we always end up last. I really hope we can change that next year!
- I really want to go to more bookish events. I’ve been to YalfestNL 2 times now and I loved it so much both times. It’s so much fun to meet authors, get some bookish goodies and just talk to so many different readers! YalfestNL will definitely be on my list again in 2020 and I hope I can add some more to that.
These are my plans for 2020, let’s hope I’ll actually get to it and reach them! What are some of your reading goals? Tell me in the comments!